The company Jide Software released a new multi-tasking centric build of Android known as RemixOS. Unlike Android, RemixOS focuses on multi-tasking by allowing you to run applications in a “windowed mode”, similar to a desktop computer. Unfortunately the instructions published on the XDA Developers website and Jide’s own website had several issues that left many (including myself) with a tablet that would not boot. This post will go over the instructions to get RemixOS working on your Nexus 9 (WiFi Only)
Before we begin, there are a few pre-requisites that I need to get out of the way.
- You should have a computer running Linux, MacOS or Windows.
- You should have the Android SDK Installed with Fastboot and ADB working
- You should charge your Nexus 9’s battery to 100%
- You should be comfortable with the command line
- You should have administrative access to your machine to run the scripts
- You should have backups of all data stored on your Nexus 9
- You should know how to download and re-flash the Nexus 9 Factory Images in the event that you wish to roll back.
- There are a few known bugs with this version, mainly the fact that you cannot download paid applications without being forced to re-pay for the app, Jide is working on a resolution
- Once this build is installed, you will be able to get OTAs from Jide
- Your bootloader should be “unlocked” (fastboot oem unlock)
By continuing these steps, you understand that I am not responsible for any damage caused by the use of these instructions. You also understand that all data will be lost on your device and have made a backup. It is highly advised that this is done on a Linux Desktop as it has not been tested on Windows/MacOS. I take no credit for developing this ROM rather the installation scripts and a few other modifications to make it work.
- Download the re-packaged RemixOS Nexus 9 Image from Mega.nz or from a mirror below
- Extract the zip file to a location on your computer. Compare the MD5 Checksums with the values at the bottom of this post
- Open an administrative command prompt or terminal and navigate to the folder that you extracted the contents to in step 2
- Power Down your Nexus 9
- Power up the tablet by holding Power + Volume Down to bring up the Bootloader
- Select “Power” on your tablet to enter “Fastboot USB” mode and connect your tablet to your computer via USB
- Using the administrative command prompt, run the “flash-remix.bat” for Windows or run “sudo bash flash-remix.sh” for Linux/MacOS
- This process will take several minutes to complete and your tablet will reboot several times.
PayPal or Google Wallet : KeithIokepaMyers@GMail.com
Feel free to contact me via httsp:httsp://kmyers.me/help/contact-me/ if you have any questions, comments or death threats. You may also post all questions in the comments below and I will try to respond as soon as possible.
Alternate Download Mirrors